Wednesday, January 26, 2011

week 3...EOC..My Demographics

I am a Generation Xer as they call us because for one I was born between 1965 to 1976. I personally was not one of the first latchkey kids, since my mother was a stay at home mom and my father worked. They claim that there is an increased parental divorce rate but, my parents did not divorce. They say, “Generation X seeks success, but is less materialistic: they prize experience, not acquisition.” (Pg.73 Marketing: An Introduction for Education Management Corporation).This I feel is very true. I tend to always be thinking of how I can succeed and have always prized the many experiences I have had along the way.  Generation Xers that are now parents think family first, putting children and their parents first and careers second. I personally have never had children but my siblings and parents come first. The book says we are a skeptical bunch when it comes to marketing and tend to research products before we purchase and prefer quality over quantity. This is completely me, I am always researching products first and I always am skeptical of what is being offered. We tend to be more educated which is true. I myself have two degrees and am working on a third. Most of my friends went to college and have continued on to further their educations in some way or another.  Like the baby boomers the Generation X is spending more carefully with the growing economic pressures. What Charles Schwab says about the Generation X being saddled with debt or living on tight budgets is completely true(Pg.73 Marketing: An Introduction for Education Management Corporation). At this point saving for retirement seems unimaginable. I think our approach at this time is like what Charles Schwab suggests is by paying down student loans and trying to put our money in high yield accounts. Whatever it may be for Generation X to have a retirement plan is different than that of the baby boomers had and is going to have to be way different from the Millennials Generation Y).

No comments:

Post a Comment